Home     About

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Choosing Not to be Offended

Some people have the skin of a pineapple.

Others the skin of a peach. 

I think it is great that we are all different.

We all have something about us that is unique and different from everyone else.

I am just writing down my thoughts here...

Why do we get offended?

I think it is a choice.

Yes, I get offended and hurt.

I feel down and sad sometimes.

Other times I don't care what other people think.

It can be a challenge.

So I did some research and found this talk: And Nothing Shall Offend Them


I really love this:
"When we believe or say we have been offended, we usually mean we feel insulted, mistreated, snubbed, or disrespected. And certainly clumsy, embarrassing, unprincipled, and mean-spirited things do occur in our interactions with other people that would allow us to take offense. However, it ultimately is impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. Indeed, believing that another person offended us is fundamentally false. To be offended is a choice we make; it is not acondition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else."

Interesting. 

"You and I cannot control the intentions or behavior of other people. However, we do determine how we will act. Please remember that you and I are agents endowed with moral agency, and we can choose not to be offended."

Being offended hurts. 


Especially when you put yourself out there to help or do good for others and you are criticized. 


How do I teach that to my kids?


Giving others hope when they are down.


Lifting spirits.


Teaching that it is a choice.


Everything is a choice.


Several times I have told my daughter...


"Bad happens all around you, it is up to you to make the choice whether or not you will let that bad experience affect you." 


Likewise, there is Good all around you and if you seek for the good...you will find it!


Choose to be happy.


Choose to not be offended.


Have the skin of a pineapple. 


You are not alone and YOU are loved.



post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that sentiment-- and I completely agree. Being offended is a choice. And I choose to be happy instead. :) Lyndy

Creative Cole said...

Thanks Lyndy! I adore you!